Generosity and PA Housing
2018 - December, Latest news
For charity and beyond!
We're a generous lot at PA Housing. Staff and customers spend a lot of their time arranging events in aid of local and national charities. With bric-a-brac sales, bake sales, swear jars, coffee mornings and a host of other activities we raise thousands of pounds each year for deserving causes.
- A bake sale and “Fine Jar" raised £138 for LOROS Hospice in Leicester.
- A further £614 was raised for LOROS during Diwali by residents of Wolsey and Abbey Mill schemes.
- We bagged a £2,000 grant from Tesco to support work at Island Farm Road Community Allotment in West Molesey.
- Staff from Case House and contractor Fortem collected Christmas food donations and a further £60 for Walton Foodbank.
- By joining in with the world's largest coffee morning, staff and residents at schemes across the country raised a total in excess of £1,000 for Macmillan Cancer Support.
And that's all within the last couple of months.
We hold a dress down day each month and collect cash donations that total more than £200 each time. Among those who have benefited are: Shelter, Age Concern, Motor Neurone Disease, Terence Higgins Trust, and the NSPCC.
We also have a hardship fund to support customers in severe difficulties, and staff have £100 each a year that they can spend to help individuals overcome small but pressing challenges.
But it's not just cash that we're happy to provide. We give our time and more besides.
A recent blood drive for World Kindness Day raised awareness and recruited 15 new blood donors so far. More are due to attend sessions in the new year.
Aware of the health risks of loneliness we carry out activities to combat isolation, including a weekly café at PA's Cromwell Community Centre in Walton, and we are working with our customers in Tower Hamlets to design a programme to improve customers’ health and wellbeing through social activities.
We also support inclusion by making sure our communications are available in many different languages and that our print and online services meet RNIB guidelines for clarity.
We collect toys every year for kids who might not otherwise receive gifts at Christmas and this year we're supporting Toys on the Table, a charity that works in the Leicestershire area. But it’s not just at Christmas that we support charities, and colleagues are already planning events for 2019.