We understand that these are unprecedented times for everyone and we want to take the time to answer some of the questions you may have.
We know that some of you are worried about how you'll pay your rent if you have the virus or that your self isolating. We want to reassure all our customers that no-one will lose their home as a result of this virus, see our paying your rent page here.
Health and Safety in your home
With all of us spending more time in our homes, we just want to remind you to follow a common sense approach to keep you and those around you safe:
- Do not use BBQs on balconies or roofs. These significantly increase the risk of a fire.
- Take care not to overload sockets or electrical circuits
- Do not use multi-socket plug extension blocks for your devices and chargers, plug them directly into sockets when possible. If you do not have enough sockets, use an extension lead. Loose plugs and poor electrical connections, which is occur more frequently when using extension blocks, are a common cause for electrical fires.
- If you must use extension leads:
- Plug the extension lead directly into the socket. Do not plug an extension lead into another extension lead.
- Ensure that the cable is laid out, not coiled or bunched.
- When using IT or electrical equipment at home ensure that fans or vents are not obstructed or blocked. (For instance by leaving laptop on the sofa or bed, or by having appliance vents too close to the wall) Unplug chargers and turn off appliances when you are not using them. Not only do plugged in chargers and appliances in ‘standby’ mode keep using power, the build up of heat from these electrical appliances is a common cause of fires.
- Check your plugs and leads for discolouration or damage occasionally, and that cables are not laying somewhere where they likely to be pinched or damaged (for example that they wont get crushed in a cabinet door or under a chair) and check that plugs and cables are not hot to the touch.
- We would encourage you to not use candles or have open flames in your home, but if you do, please keep on eye on them and put them out before you leave the room or go to sleep. Keep them away from curtains or anything else which can easily catch fire, and check that they are not making anything nearby, or what they are sitting on, hot to the touch.
Finally, we understand that you may have heard potentially confusing messages from the media and the fire brigades about “stay put” or “simultaneous” evacuation strategies. Regardless of what you may have heard, if the there is a fire, PA Housing want you and your family simply to be safe.
If a fire alarm goes off in your house or flat, you see or smell smoke, or think you are at risk from fire for any other reason; you and anyone else in your home should leave immediately. Switch off your cooker or oven, blow out any candles, shut the windows in the room you are in and shut any doors behind you as you leave if you can without putting yourself at risk and delaying your escape.
Doing so may prevent other fires from starting and stop fire from spreading before the fire brigade can put it out.
When you are safely out of your home (and out of the building if you live a block of flats) call 999. Please do not try to re-enter the building until the fire brigade has attended and told you it is safe.
We’re continuing with fire safety checks as normal to make sure our systems are working as they should be and we’ll carry out essential repairs if required.